Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Third Day

Well today was very eventful. The students did a great presentation at the Kenner Senior Center. Kenner is about 20-30 minutes outside of New Orleans. The senior center was alive with activity because a few minutes after our presentation was scheduled to be over, it was BINGO time! Nick and Christine did a wonderful job of presenting and we thought it went really well. They talked mostly about what to watch out for when working with contractors or with getting a home loan. Bryan also talked about a few things including reverse mortgages. That was the big issue of the day.

After the presentation, we took a tour of the 9th ward. Words cannot express the depth of the devastation we witnessed. It seemed that only one family has moved back into their house on each block, if that. Most of the houses and apartments were totally gutted. Each house had a big X spray painted on it. On each of the four sides of the X was a number or code. The bottom of the X was the spot to note how many bodies were found in the home.

I have some pictures and video, but uploading isn't working at the moment.

This evening, Nick and I went in search of souveneirs. It went well and I got a great art print of jazz players. I am so excited about it. The French Quarter is such a special place to see and be in. I took a billion pictures and will make sure you all can see them.

I am sad tonight is my last night, but I feel like we have had a great experience here so far. Seeing this devastation really is overwhelming. At least I can take comfort in the small things we were able to do for NOLA and the help we were able to offer a few of the people who live here. I know our work is a tiny drop in the bucket, but it is something I guess.

I will write more tomorrow hopefully.

No comments: